Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Glasgow

Luckily for you, this one's going to be a little less long-winded because I'm under the weather. I had a good time in Glasgow. My first night there, I met up with Caetano, who is my mother's colleague's daughter's husband. Simple, right? He was a cool guy and gave me some good tips for the city. The following day was spent exploring the city and seeing some sites. There's a nice park a few minutes away from the hostel, so it was nice to stroll through there. That night I made friends with a Canadian, Adriane, who lives in Kingston, which is practically right next door! We played flip cup with some Aussies and the hostel employee on duty at the time, James. The aussies eventually took off, only to be replaced by a few german guys who were fun to drink with. All in all a good night. The next day Adriane and I set off to find the Baras market, which Caetano had told me about. If you want to imagine what the Baras market was like, imagine a flea market but take away the class and cleanliness. It was a good time though strolling the booths and finding the random crap that people were selling. That night we had a few more drinks with a Scotsman and an Aussie, which was a good time as well. On Sunday Adriane took off for Belfast and I went wandering around the city again. I went to the Kelvingrove Museum, which is an odd collection of art and artifacts... you'll find a stuffed elephant and an airplane hanging from the ceiling in the same room. I went back out that night with the Scotsman and Aussie along with a couple of French girls who seemed to appreciate somebody actually being able to (barely) speak their language in these parts. They pretended like I spoke French well in return. We had a great time out despite the crappiness of the live music we were listening too. They even convinced me to stay an extra day in Glasgow, as I had been planning to leave on Monday. Unfortunately when I woke up Monday, our plans of having a big day together were quickly shot... I woke up with a terrible sore throat and the rest of the fun that comes along with a cold. I spent all of Monday in bed aside from going to get some soup for dinner in hopes of making a quick recovery. Being abroad and alone while sick is no fun... I expect to be babied dammit! Ah well. I got up this morning and decided I may as well get moving on, so I caught the bus to Edinburgh. Just got to the hostel about an hour ago. Hopefully I'll be feeling better for the next post and put a bit more effort into it. Until then!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear you got sick man, to bad you don't have Scott to apply vaporub to your chest. Sounds like you're having a blast apart from that though!

    - Arthur

    ReplyDelete