Friday, September 17, 2010

Hello and farewell

Welcome to my mediocre-at-best blog! Thanks for taking an interest in my travels, it's awesome to know that I've got support from my friends and family (and any rando's that don't know me, but came across this site somehow) as I sojourn through Europe. This blog will be my way of sharing my experiences with everybody. I'll try to update it as regularly as possible, depending on the availability of internet access, the amount of cool shit that occurs that is blog-worthy, and how much I feel like writing while on this trip. That reminds me...there'll be some occasional salty language, sarcasm, and injections of my admittedly odd sense of humour. If that's not your cup of tea, feel free to take your internet perusing elsewhere. There's plenty of better blogs, more interesting websites, funnier videos of slightly off-kilter people who have been autotuned, etc that you'll enjoy more. Go ahead...nobody will blame you. In fact, come to think of it, most of the internet is probably better than this blog. What the hell are we still doing here?!

Anyways, back from my little rant. So I'm starting in Dublin. I'll be flying the red eye Monday and getting into Dublin Tuesday morning. It's weird finally having the trip set in stone. For the last few months, since I decided to do this trip, I've had absolutely zero logistics worked out. I thought this would be a fun way of doing the trip. What I didn't anticipate is having to answer "I don't know" every time somebody wanted to ask me about my trip. This happened roughly 94,534 times since I let people know I was going. I consider myself very fortunate to have so many people in my life that care about me enough to enquire about my trip. However, this got to be very repetitive and slightly frustrating. So, I no longer have no logistics worked out. I have one!
I figure the best way to get to the point of this initial post is to answer the most common questions I've been asked about my trip.
  • Where are you starting? Dublin, pay attention.
  • Where do you want to go while you're there? Anywhere and everywhere. I'll try lots of different places across the continent, and if I like a particular place, I'll stay a little longer. once I'm ready to get moving, I'll get moving.
  • Are you going to work while you're there? Yes, but just here and there for room and board or perhaps a bit of travelling cash.
  • Why are you so handsome? I just can't help it Matt
  • Did you quit your job? No, I took a leave of absence from work. My supervisors were very understanding when I requested this, and I really appreciate their support.
  • How long are you going for? I'm aiming for the end of July, but who knows how long I'll be able to stretch the money for. Regardless, I'm due back at work in August 2011.
  • Are you going alone? Yes. Although I do hope that friends come out to visit me and that I meet new people to travel with.
  • And perhaps the biggest one of them all: Why? Don't say revenge. Eat, pray, love changed my life. In short, I don't know why. I love to travel, so this was just something I wanted to do. I have a feeling I'll be better able to answer "why" when I get back.
So I guess that's it for my inaugural post. I'll try to update it as much as possible. If you catch me slacking, drop me a line and tell me to post more. This is my way of interacting with you, so don't be shy in posting comments (while keeping in mind that my mom and colleagues will be reading this), asking questions, giving tips on where to go next, or just to say hi.

See you later!

1 comment:

  1. Bon voyage Jeff! Dublin is one of my favorite places in the world. I lived at 82 Upper Leeson St and then after about 6 months headed to the West Coast, Galway. I had an amazing time and I hope you do too. My nephew lives in Aberdeen Scotland so if you are in Scotland, let me know and he'll take you out for a pint. xo Ailsa

    ReplyDelete