Monday, September 20, 2010

There's no crying in hockey!

Fair warning, this blog is being written at a swiss chalet in the Pearson airport because I've got lots of time to kill. So it's probably gonna be a windy one. And a little emo. If you're only reading this to find out about my drunken bar fights, missing trains in Switzerland, getting lost in slovenia, and other such travel adventures, I'd suggest skipping this one and waiting for the next post.
The trip's no longer a matter of months, weeks, or even days away. It's now only 5 hours away...assuming the flight's on time.
I'd like to expand on a subject I mentioned briefly in my first email...support from family and friends. It means a whole helluva lot to me. Saying goodbye to pretty much everybody I know for the last two weeks straight has been tough. It made me realise how many people I'm going to be leaving behind/missing over the next year (ok, 10-11 months, but let's just say a year. Don't be difficult). However, on the positive side, it's also made me realise how much support I have from everybody and how great my life truly is. Regardless of what happens on this trip, I know I'll be coming back home to a great bunch of people. I'm not going to single many people out, because seeing everybody has been great, but I would like to mention a couple groups.
The first is my parents. They were kind enough to drive me down to toronto for my flight. Mentioning this courtesy is like pointing out a drop of water in the ocean....their generosity and unwavering dedication to having my back (I need a thesaurus cause I can't think of another way to say support) not only for this trip, but for life in general means more to me than I could ever express in words. Hugging my mom goodbye was probably one of the hardest things I've had to do in my entire life. It got pretty emotional. And by that, I mean I cried like a little schoolgirl. Thanks mom and dad. I have no idea where I'd be without your love and support, but I do know that I sure as shit wouldn't be sitting in an airport waiting to take off on this journey. Sorry for swearing.
The other gang I'd like to mention is the guys. No crying here, except for Delage when I whooped him at hockey for one last time. Hanging out with the guys for my last night in Ottawa, having beers, playing video games, and trash talking was the perfect send off. nothing fancy, nothing special...just the guys being the guys. Can't wait to do it again when I get back... I figure a year should be long enough for Delage to practice and become a little less garbage. Dingaling!
To everybody else, please don't be offended that I didn't mention you...I could spend the entire flight writing about how great all my friends are and I still wouldn't have covered the half of it.
Ok, so I guess I've got one travel story. I did my first sightseeing today. My pops and I went to the hockey hall of fame. I highly recommend it for anybody who's into the game and in Toronto. We spent about 2 hours there, but could have easily spent another hour or 2 there if we didn't have to go. I've got pictures, which I'll post soon enough. Shitty story, I know. I'll try to do better in Dublin. Until then, stay classy Canada. Bye!

PS here's a dorky picture of me, leaving for the airport. Well first I had to put the camera back in my bag, but then I left for the airport.

3 comments:

  1. Enjoy your funployment Jeff, stay safe and be sure to enjoy all that the world has to offer.

    funemployment
    n. A period of joblessness that a person uses for leisure and other fun activities.
    —funemploy v.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This "dingaling's" background needs to be changed pronto. Where did you get such terrible taste?

    Enjoy, and keep the posts flowin'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photo is so cute BH! xoxo AP

    ReplyDelete